Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Dear abandoned blog followers...

I have no excuse for the lapse of over two months in my blog except for the fact that my life here has gained such a pace of normalcy that blogging has taken a backseat to daily life.  Certainly there are still cultural differences that I experience frequently, situations that are trying and successes that are worth noting....but the pace of life has slowed down a bit, and I decided to just live for a bit instead of chronicle.  To make an analogy, it’s sort of like trying to capture a notable experience in pictures.  Sometimes, in focusing on having pictures to capture the moment and share it with others, you lose the authenticity of actually experiencing it. 

Anyway, enough with excuses.  I decided, in honor of my first birthday in the DR, I must return to my blog, because at the end of the day, sharing my experiences is important to me (and hopefully to my readers too!)

In March and April I have been busy putting on events, working and enjoying time with my family here (my biological family, who visited in March and my adopted family in the capital).  Some highlights-

International Women’s Day- March 8th

I wrote a grant to put on an event in conjunction with my organization that would highlight the life experiences of women in the community who had survived difficult situations and had used their experience in courses at our technical school to start their own small businesses.  We expected 100 women, and 150 showed up, including the Director of my sector and the press.  It was a huge success and a moment in my PC experience that I will remember forever.

My Familia in the DR!

My parents and three sisters spent a week here in the DR.  They visited my site, where we had lunch with the staff from my organization, and also visited my apartment for dinner!  Later we went to a resort in Juan Dolio for a few days of R&R, and ended in the capital touring the Colonial Zone and having a barbeque with my host family at their house.  Overall, we had a blast, but time flew too quickly!

Semana Santa

Semana Santa leading up to Easter is a big deal here.  I traveled to Bavaro (near Punta Cana) out east to the beach with my host family and boyfriend for a four day weekend.  We had a blast (and got really burnt!) cooking, hanging out on the beach and enjoying each other’s company.  With 10 people in a 2 bedroom apartment it was a tight squeeze, but I’ve realized you don’t have to be in luxury to have a good time!

This month is going to be busier than ever with a group visiting from the States for two weeks to do some service projects with us.  I will be the logistical translator throughout, a tiring job but hopefully well worth it given all the projects these groups will be implementing with our staff and beneficiaries.  Before all that begins, I’m headed to the beach this weekend to celebrate my birthday with Peace Corps peeps....my buddy Tina is turning 30 this weekend so we are doing a joint b’day gig.
Miss you all!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment